Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Eri Yoshida, 1st Female Pro Knuckle-baller?

Here is an article I read on the Associated Press website. Apparently, there is a 16 year old girl in Japan, Eri Yoshida, who has just been made the 1st female professional baseball player. She was selected in the 7th round by the Kobe 9 Cruise team in a new independent baseball league in Japan supposedly for her wicked Knuckler which she patented after Red Sox legend Tim Wakefield. Yada, yada, yada.


Give me a break. In my personal opinion this is nothing short of a publicity stunt for a neo professional baseball league. I think it is a pretty good one too because here I am, all the way in Toronto (Canada), writing about some 16 year old girl getting drafted to pitch against men in a professional league. Despite the obviousness of this shameless league promotion, you can't deny that it would be interesting to see women involved in some capacity on the baseball diamond. Being someone that actually ventures to the parks to watch games during the season, I can testify to the need for something new in the majors. I hope this gives MLB the cojones to actual start including some "talent" to this game. I can even go for a WMLB with future perennial All-Star Jennie Finch (pictured). That would be really nice don't you think?

0 comments:

 
© Copyright by Smashmauf!  |  Template by Blogspot tutorial